Crossing the virtual divide

IATEFL Learning Technologies SIG PCE
Harrogate, UK / Avalon Learning, Second Life
7 April, 2010

Bringing together participants in ‘real life’ in Harrogate, UK, with virtual participants at Avalon Learning in the virtual world Second Life, this year’s IATEFL Learning Technologies SIG PCE demonstrated the permeability of the real/virtual divide with frequent crossovers between Harrogate and Second Life.  Participants in Second Life, where I was based, viewed videos, watched slide presentations, listened to discussions in Harrogate via an audio hookup, and carried out their own discussions in audio and text channels.  It was a great demonstration of multimodal literacies in action …

4 - Conf (Avatars Listening to Presentation) - B

I kicked off the day in Second Life with my video and slide presentation, Digital literacies: Where do we start?, and followed up with a Q & A session and discussion which spanned Second Life and ‘real life’.  My video, slides and session photos can be viewed on the Digital Literacies research page of my wiki (see Artefacts 4A – 4D).  Scott Thornbury, based in Harrogate, followed with a presentation entitled Has the language lab failed? The third presenter of the day, Stephen Bax, was also based in Harrogate.

I couldn’t stay for the whole day, given the time difference between Australia and the UK, but the section in which I participated was a good indication of where new technologies and, more importantly, new literacies are taking us – despite certain challenges we’re facing along the way.

For more details of the whole event, plus videos of the Second Life discussions, see Heike Philp’s overview on the Avalon blog.

9 Thoughts.

1. Pingback: Tweets that mention Crossing the virtual divide | e-language -- Topsy.com

2. Hi,
    It’s time for The Top 100 Language Blogs 2010 competition and the good news is your blog has been nominated. Congratulations!
    After previous years’ success the bab.la language portal and Lexiophiles language blog are hosting our worldwide language blog competition once again.
    We are looking for the top 100 language blogs in four categories: Language Learning, Language Teaching, Language Technology and Language Professionals.
    You have been nominated to the following category: Language Technology.
    The nomination period goes from April 27th to May 11th. Each blog will have a one-sentence-description for the voting. If you would like a special description to go along with your blog, just send me an email (priscila [at] bab.la). The voting period goes from May 12th to May 24th. The winners will be announced on May 28th. Feel free to spread the word among bloggers writing about languages.
    For more information on The Top 100 Language Blogs 2010 visit:

http://www.lexiophiles.com/featured-article/top-100-language-blogs-2010-starts-today

Kind regards,
    Priscila
    On behalf of the bab.la and Lexiophiles team

3. Hi,

Our “The Top 100 Language Blogs 2010 competition” is doing great, with some really cool blogs eager to get number 1 spot! We’re very glad you have accepted this challenge and joined us.

This post is just to remind you there is still time to get your blog up in the list. The voting goes until May 24th at midnight CET (GMT +1), so get down to business and keep voting!

Wishing you all good luck,

Priscila
    On behalf of bab.la and Lexiophiles team

4. I have been visiting various blogs for my term paper research. I have found your blog to be quite useful. Keep updating your blog with valuable information… Regards

5. i am searching many blogs and others sources for complete my thesis writing assignment for holiday work i like your blog so informative and knowledgeable keep your blog updated.

6. Main thing in the IATEFL is the back issues of our newsletter CALL Review, reports on past LT SIG events,and the watched slide presentations,is a good topic to tell,so the features are great.It is a organization in the field of English language learning and teaching,so this is a good organization for the students to take interest in.